SWINGLETREE

CARRIAGE COLLECTION


PART II

A further selection from the Carriage Collection at Swingletree. All the carriages are in full working order. 

DEMI-MAIL PHAETON

Built by Hamshaw prior to 1846

The Demi-Mail Phaeton is a cut-down version of the larger and heavier Mail Phaeton. It has a hooded seat with a groom's seat behind, allowing room between the two for luggage. In the 1800's this vehicle was favoured by gentlemen for both town and country use with a pair. This vehicle was found in a ditch in Laxfield, Suffolk and purchased for 7. The rear wheels, leather hood cover, upholstery and dash have been restored. It is believed that the only other example is in the Science Museum.

DEMI-MAIL PHAETON

1980 Built by John Gapp of Litcham

This is a replica of a horse Demi-Mail Phaeton built for a Connemara pony team. Many judges have thought it to be an original.

TWO -WHEELED RALLI CAR

c. 1898 by Emanuel Bros. of Slough

A descendant of the Dog Cart with a back-to-back seating arrangement for four people, and room under the seat for luggage. It was used as a general purpose family vehicle with room for a certain amount of luggage or alternatively two children. This vehicle was purchased for 10 in 1961 at Roehampton Horse Sales, London for Noble Lass, with whom Susan Townsend enjoyed enormous success. It has lancewood shafts and mahogany body.

FOUR -WHEELED RALLI CAR

c. 1890 by Oliver of Hawkhurst

Named after the Ralli family, Greek shipping magnates, who lived at Ashstead Park. It can be used with shafts for a single pony or with a pole for a pair, unicorn or team. Shafts are usually placed inside the body instead of under it. This vehicle was purchased from Commander Douglas, well-known in the 1960's for his Welsh pony team. It can be used for single, pair or team.

DENNETT GIG

1979 Built by Richard Brereton

The Dennett Gig was said to have originally been made by a Finsbury coachbuilder named Bennett (somehow the B became D). It's name is also attributed to the three dancing Dennett sisters as there are three sets of springs; one crosswise and two lengthwise. The Dennett is an English gig of the early 1800's used for general transport in the town and country. Like all gigs it is enclosed at the back with luggage space under the seat.  This was the last vehicle built by Richard Brereton who died age 27 in 1980.

CHAIR BACK GIG

c. 1910 Built by John Peters & Sons, Bryansford

A type of early gig popular during the late 18th Century. This gig has a stick-back seat.

JERSEY CART

A four wheeled open vehicle which is used on the island of Jersey as public transport and for carrying produce such as potatoes. These vehicles are now almost extinct.

This particular vehicle is an original and during World War II was used by locals who were forced by the German occupying forces to carry produce, thereby saving petrol. The hooks along the side were to used to help secure the loads.

(The temporary canopy shown in the upper picture was added to protect passengers from the rain.)

The same vehicle is featured in both pictures 50 years apart!

Swingletree, Wingfield, Nr. Diss, Norfolk, Great Britain IP21 5QZ
Tel: 01379-384-496
 
Return to Home Page
John Parker